you are here: home > terms and conditions
The full terms and conditions for use of the Adopt a Word website are detailed below
For the purposes of these terms and conditions ‘us’ ‘we’
and ‘our’ refer to I CAN, ‘you’ refers to the user of the Website.
Use of the Website
- I CAN reserves the right to change these terms and conditions at any time by posting changes online. Your continued use of the Website after changes are posted constitutes your acceptance of this agreement as modified. If you place any order with us, in respect of that order you will be subject to the policies and terms and conditions in force at the time that you place your order.
- You are prohibited from posting or transmitting to or from the Website any material that is threatening, defamatory, obscene, indecent, seditious, offensive, pornographic, abusive, liable to incite racial hatred, discriminatory, menacing, scandalous, inflammatory, blasphemous, in breach of confidence, in breach of privacy which may cause annoyance or inconvenience or for which you have not obtained all necessary licences and/or approvals or which would otherwise constitute a breach of applicable law.
- You may not misuse the Website (including, without limitation, by hacking).
- I CAN does not guarantee and gives no warranty or representation that the functions and/or material on the Website will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that this site or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or bugs or represents the full functionality, accuracy and reliability of the materials.
- (a) You are permitted to print and download extracts from the Website
for your own use on the following basis: (a) hidden text
(i) no documents or related graphics on the Website are modified in any way;
(ii) no graphics on the Website are used separately from the corresponding text; and
(iii) I CAN’s copyright and trade mark notices and this permission notice appear in all copies.
(b) Unless otherwise stated, the copyright and other intellectual property rights in all material on the Website (including without limitation photographs and graphical images) are owned by I CAN or its licensors. For the purposes of this legal notice, any use of extracts from the Website other than in accordance with clause 6(a) for any purpose is prohibited. If you breach any of the terms in this legal notice, your permission to use the Website automatically terminates and you must immediately destroy any downloaded or printed extracts from the Website
- I CAN does not control and is not responsible for third party websites or their content or availability. I CAN therefore does not endorse or make any representations or warranties about them, or any material found there, or any results that may be obtained from them.
- Where your money goes
(a) When adopting a word through the Website, you are making a donation to support I CAN’s vital work and your money will be used wherever the need is greatest to support and improve children’s speech, language and communication.
(b) When adopting a word through the Website, you are making a donation to I CAN. Your order to adopt a word is a virtual adoption and accordingly does not give you any intellectual property or other rights in the word as against any person (including I CAN). You will receive [a certificate] to represent your virtual adoption as a token of our appreciation.
(c) If you are a UK taxpayer, you can opt to treat any donation you make to us (including your adoption fee) as a Gift Aid donation. This will allow us to increase the value of your donation at no extra cost to you.
(d) If you purchase any associated products (such as a welcome pack, mugs or T-shirt), you will be charged the price of the merchandise quoted on the Website. If you purchase a Collins Gem Dictionary, HarperCollins Publishers Limited (“HarperCollins”) will donate £1.50 to I CAN. You will be unable to opt for Gift Aid treatment on these products.
(e) There will be no VAT on your adoption fee or on any additional donations you make. We may, however, be required to impose VAT on any associated products you buy. Where VAT is chargeable on these associated products it will be included in the price displayed on the Website.
- Contract information
(a) Your order constitutes an offer to us. All orders are subject to acceptance by us, and we will confirm such acceptance by sending you an email (the “Confirmation Email”). The contract between us will only be formed when we send you the Confirmation Email.
(b) I CAN will be unable to refund any order to adopt a word in respect of which it has sent a Confirmation Email.
- Period of adoption and renewal
(a) Your order to adopt a word or words relates only to the word (s) you have specified on the order form of the Website (the “Word”).(c) I CAN may contact you prior to the end of the Adoption Period to enable you to renew your adoption of the Word for a period immediately after the Adoption Period.
(b) The term of the adoption of the Word is for the period of one calendar year from the date specified in your Confirmation Email (the “Adoption Period”).
- Availability and Delivery
(a) The supply of products from the Website is subject to availability and it is not always possible for I CAN to inform you at the time you place your order whether the goods you want are still available for purchase. In the case of this happening a carefully selected alternative may be sent, or a refund for that product may be given.
(b) All products referred to in clause 8(c) can only be delivered to addresses within the UK. Persons outside the UK may still adopt a word and receive an electronic copy of an adoption certificate by email.
(c) All prices include delivery costs.
(d) We reserve the right to decline to supply any individual or company.
(e) Adoption packs and merchandise will be despatched separately. They will be despatched between 10 - 14 days after the order.
(f) Adoption packs and merchandise are sent by first class post. We can therefore only guarantee despatch and not delivery, as that is out of our control.
- Contact information:
If wish to contact us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0845 225 4073 or write to
Adopt a Word , I CAN , 8 Wakley Street, London EC1V 7QE
Please note: email is the least expensive method for I CAN to handle enquiries.
(a) Subject to clause 13(b), in respect of any product referred to in clause 8(c), you may return any such product at any time within seven working days, beginning on the day after you received the products. In this case we will refund the price of the product returned in full, including the cost of sending the item to you. However, you will be responsible for the cost of returning the item to us.
(b) We cannot accept returns on any items purchased that are personalised or made to order unless the goods have been damaged in transit, or the goods suffer from a manufacturing defect. Products returned by you because of a defect will be refunded in full, including a refund of the delivery charges for sending the item to you and the cost incurred by you in returning the item to us.
(c) If you wish to return any product in accordance with the above please email: email@example.com to request details of how to return the product to us.
(a) While I CAN endeavours to ensure that the information on the Website is correct, I CAN does not warrant the accuracy and completeness of the material on the Website. I CAN may make changes to the material on the Website, or to the products and prices described in it, at any time without notice. The material on the Website may be out of date, and I CAN makes no commitment to update such material.
(b) The material on the Website is provided in good faith on an "as is", "as available" basis, without any conditions, warranties or other terms of any kind. Accordingly, to the maximum extent permitted by law, I CAN provides you with the Website on the basis that I CAN excludes all representations, warranties, conditions and other terms (including, without limitation, the conditions implied by law of satisfactory quality, fitness for purpose and the use of reasonable care and skill) which, but for this legal notice, might have effect in relation to the Website.
- Our liability
(a) We warrant to you that any product purchased from us through the Website is of satisfactory quality and reasonably fit for all the purposes for which products of the kind are commonly supplied.
(b) Our liability for losses you suffer as a result of us breaking this agreement is strictly limited to the purchase price of the Product you purchased.
(c) This does not include or limit in any way our liability:
(i) for death or personal injury caused by our negligence;
(ii) under section 2(3) of the Consumer Protection Act 1987;
(iii) for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; or
(iv) for any matter for which it would be illegal for us to exclude, or attempt to exclude, our liability.
(d) We are not responsible for indirect losses which happen as a side effect of the main loss or damage and which are not foreseeable by you and us, provided that this clause 15(d) shall not prevent claims for loss of or damage to your tangible property that fall within the terms of clause 15(a) or clause 15(b).
(a) HarperCollins have supplied the word database for the Website (the “Word Database”).
(b) The Word Database is provided by HarperCollins in good faith on an "as is", "as available" basis and HarperCollins does not guarantee the accuracy, timeliness, completeness, performance or fitness for a particular purpose of any information on the Website. Further, HarperCollins makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the operation of the Website, the information, the content, materials or products included. Except to the extent provided by applicable law, HarperCollins disclaims all responsibility as to the information, content, materials or products arising from the use of the Website, whether direct, indirect, consequential or otherwise.
- The failure by us to exercise any right or remedy under these terms and conditions shall not constitute a waiver of that right or remedy.
- Applicable laws require that some of the information or communications we send to you should be in writing. When using the Website, you accept that communication with us will be mainly electronic. We will contact you by email or provide you with information by posting notices on the Website. For contractual purposes, you agree to this electronic means of communication and you acknowledge that all contracts, notices, information and other communications that we provide to you electronically comply with any legal requirement that such communications be in writing. This condition does not affect your statutory rights.
- These terms and conditions shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. Any disputes shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of England and Wales.
0 items £0.00
How your word
adoption will help
will provide a family
with a DVD giving them advice
about supporting their child’s communication.
will help us respond to
a call from a parent who is worried
about their child’s speech.
a child to
receive one-to-one support from a
speech and language therapist.
follow us at: @adoptaword